Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Pelican Seafood Restaurant 又一村海鮮酒家

REVIST POST ON PELICAN [HERE]

Pelican is one of BF and I's favourite Chinese restaurants, we like to come here after 9:00pm when the restaurant is less busy. A few years ago when I was obsessed with Pelican's peking duck, I was here two to three times a week for it. This year however has been about the seafood. I stopped taking photos because we literally order the same thing over and over. Below are a few photo frames from this month of what we usually order.


SPICY EGGPLANT WITH GARLIC HOTPOT, CRAB SOUP WITH PORK, SAUTEED BEEF AND BROCCOLI, CREAM AND BUTTER SAUCE CRAB, 1LB SPOT PRAWNS AND MANGO PUDDING.


PUMPKIN AND CRAB MEAT SOUP, MANGO PUDDING, COCONUT TAPIOCA SOUP, WINTER MELON WITH DRIED SCALLOPS, CREAM AND BUTTER SAUCE CRAB, YEUNG CHOW FRIED RICE AND STEAMED TILAPIA.


PUMPKIN AND CRAB MEAT SOUP, 1LB STEAMED SPOT PRAWNS, STEAMED TILAPIA, STEAMED BROCCOLI, CREAM AND BUTTER SAUCE CRAB, COMPLIMENTARY MANGO PUDDING (USUALLY A KOI OR HELLO KITTY), AND A BEEF AND VEGETABLE DISH.


CRAB AND FISH MAW SOUP, YEUNG CHOW FRIED RICE, STEAMED BROCCOLI, MANGO PUDDING, 1LB STEAMED SPOT PRAWNS WITH GARLIC, 2LB STEAMED SPOT PRAWNS AND WINE CHICKEN. I remember this dinner and thinking that I can finish 3lbs of spot prawns since I can eat a 3lb crab to myself, but I was wrong haha.


CRAB SOUP WITH PORK, WINTER MELON WITH DRIED SCALLOPS, 2LB STEAMED SPOT PRAWNS, CREAM AND BUTTER SAUCE CRAB AND STEAMED TILAPIA.


STEAMED TILAPA, PEKING DUCK, WINTER MELON WITH DRIED SCALLOPS, MANGO PUDDING AND COCONUT TAPIOCA WITH TARO SOUP.

Since I was getting sick of our usual dishes, I wanted to try the peking duck again because BF has never tried it before. Plus, I was obsessed over them a couple of years ago. I feel like my photos seem boring and to make them more interesting, I brought my Kinder Surprise Madagascar penguin toy to join. I was actually pissed because I opened 11 other Kinder Surprise Eggs which were supposed to be a part of the Madagascar train, but I only got this one.






2LB STEAMED SPOT PRAWNS ($11.88/lb). The spot prawns are always yummy, delicious, tasty and never overcooked. I want to eat as many as possible before it is too late and only the prawns with eggs are available.


TWO COURSE PEKING DUCK, PEKING DUCK SKIN WITH CREPE, HOISIN SAUCE AND GREEN ONIONS, AND PEKING DUCK LETTUCE CRAB. The slices of skin has a light crisp and is very thin, with little meat. The crepe to wrap the skin is very tough, dry, thick and elastic-like which makes it hard to eat and I could not taste the skin much. I never remembered the crepe like this before, it is probably one time incident. For the lettuce wrap, the duck meat is nicely seasoned, tastes average and not salty. I remember the duck meat tasting a lot better, fattier and yummier before.. Anyways, the lettuce is fresh and crisp.


STEAMED TILAPIA. The tilapia is what it is, always consistent and never overcooked. I am not a tilapia fan but BF always enjoys fish.


WINTER MELON WITH DRY SCALLOPS. The winter melon tastes refreshing and the sauce tastes very light, despite the overly saucy appearance. This is my new favourite dish and I love it, I am likely bias though since the dish is supposedly healthy.


COMPLIMENTARY MANGO PUDDING AND COCONUT TAPIOCA WITH TARO SOUP. This is hands down the best complimentary mango pudding at any Chinese restaurant I have been to. The mango pudding tastes slightly sweet, has a mango taste and is not watered down at all. Plus, the koi fish or hello kitty shapes are a bonus! For the coconut tapioca with taro soup, the soup tastes very flavourful, slightly sweet, has a good amount of tapioca, and the taro is perfectly soft with a well kept structure.

Mango pudding or any dessert soup is complimentary at most Chinese restaurants. I get upset when I go to restaurants, order at least two seafood dishes (and other dishes as well) and they give me a fortune cookie (Golden Phoenix) or Chinese almond cookies (Come Along). Umm where is the red bean soup? My mango pudding is my make it or break it for a Chinese restaurant.. fine I will accept any dessert soup as well just because BF enjoys them. But for a 20% tip, you need the mango pudding! Fine, if the food and service is good with no mango pudding, then they win :(.

POSITIVES
- Food is usually consistent, solid and yummy
- Complimentary desserts always taste better than most restaurants (especially the mango pudding)
- Attentive and professional service, always
- Clean, comfortable and spacious restaurant 
- Open late night

NEGATIVES
- Peking duck wasn't so great this time
- Dim sum is very busy

LITTLE THINGS
- Western friendly and they provide the same service to everyone, unlike some Chinese restaurants that are more western friendly only (no idea why, kind of stupid IMO)
- Dim sum is pretty good but I stay away because of the busyness, crowdedness, loudness, line ups and the restaurant becomes cramped
- My favourite dishes are the lobster in house sauce, cream and butter sauce crab, steamed spot prawns, winter melon with dry scallops and steamed broccoli
- My usual dishes are the yeung chow fried rice, any soup, and random things BF will order such as drunken chicken, beef with vegetables or crispy chicken

Food: 2.5/5 (usually 4/5)
Service: 5/5 (maybe for dimsum... 3/5)

Pelican Seafood Restaurant 又一村海鮮酒家 on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...