Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Chuck and Kitty's Country Cafe



Chuck and Kitty's Country Cafe, the only reason BF and I made the trip to Harrison! Well, I could not justify driving all the way out to Harrison just to have some pie… so we decided to make a one day trip out of it and stayed at the hotel. Before checking in at the Harrison Resort, we made the trip to the very anticipated cafe. This time I prepared a game plan because on the last visit, we had breakfast as well as a slice of pie each and we  felt full until 8:00pm. And by the time we were hungry, every restaurant was closed and we had to drive out to Agassiz for Dominos Pizza! Not this time though. I carefully planned our eating schedule so we could have dinner at a proper time LOL. Meaning, pass on the pies and grab some the next day after we check out.

The restaurant is a small family owned pop and ma joint with less than ten available tables. Walking in, the vibe was much more different than our previous visits. Rather than the last visits which were filled with tourists and a friendly teenager and as well as an older lady working at the front of the house, the restaurant was operated by the owners and had a few local regulars. The vibe turned out to be more like we were intruding LOL.


HOME TOWN BURGER AND WEST COAST BAGEL.


HOME TOWN BURGER, 100% ANGUS BEEF, CHIPOTLE MAYONNAISE, SERVED ON A TOASTED CIABATTA BUN ($10.95) + CHEDDAR CHEESE ($1.00) + BACON ($1.75).
Arriving around 1:30pm, we missed the breakfast deadline which is at 11:00am and was stumped on what to order. Taking a look around, an older couple ordered a burger and I tagged along. The burger also comes with a side of soup which was the cream of mushroom. The cream of mushroom tastes very generic, familiar and is in fact, Campbell's Cream of Mushroom! The soup is not watered down and tastes slightly salty, like usual and has a few slices of mushroom. Although I would have preferred a housemade soup which I believe was offered on previous visits. Moving to the burger, the burger is served on a toasted ciabatta and has a smear of chipotle mayonnaise. The burger consists of lettuce, purple onion, a slice of tomato, pickle, real cheddar cheese and two pieces of bacon. After taking the first bite, the burger tasted dry which I sort of expected just by looking at it and the meat tastes quite flavourless. I prefer having my burgers as-is with no extra condiments added, however, the cheese and bacon was not enough to provide some flavour for the burger. And although the housemade patty is appreciated, I could not help but think I rather have a generic frozen store bought burger. If I was in the mood to be "healthier", the burger would be more than fine after adding some condiments.

WEST COAST BAGEL, MADE WITH ONLY SMOKED WILD PACIFIC SALMON ON A WHITE BAGEL ($10.95).
BF passed on the onions and I jokingly asked him, "who passes on onions with a smoked salmon bagel?! You need capers too", and the owner glared at me LOL... awkward. She probably thought I was being mean when I was just joking around, either way, I did not feel too comfortable after. The bagel comes with a generous amount of smoked salmon and a good amount of cream cheese. The only issue would be the bagel itself, the bagel tastes rubbery (not as bad as it sounds) and more like a bun than a bagel. When I ordered the west coast bagel on the last visit, I chose the multigrain which was toasted (not sure why the bagel was not toasted this time) and of course tasted a lot better.

TOTAL: $28.75 + TIP $6.25 = 35.00.
Overall we tipped 20% because we like to support family businesses, however, I would not come back for lunch. And to be honest, if we had change, I would have probably tipped $1.00 less because surprisingly the owners were not friendly nor spoke one word to us after ordering. We even had to walk up to pay when the restaurant was not busy. This is most likely a biased thought that family businesses are supposed to be more friendly though…

PHOTOS FROM PREVIOUS VISITS


POSITIVES
- Pies are supposed to be good from what I remember! And if in the area, I would give them a try

NEGATIVES
- Owner's could be more friendly towards non-locals
- What we ordered tastes average if not slightly below average

LITTLE THINGS
- Remember when I mentioned that we would come back the next day for a couple of pies? Yeah, never happened because we went out to Agassiz for breakfast and did not bother coming back for the pies since we were too full :(

Food: 2.5/5 (including the price, 2/5)
Service: N/A

Chuck and Kitty's Country Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...