Saturday, May 3, 2014

Good Choice Restaurant 好彩小廚

I often get asked why my dinners for two are huge and can feed four, and my responses are the obvious; I love food and can eat a lot (hence, piggy in my blog name). So, a bit past a week ago, I started ordering less and only the "regular" amount of food that two people typically order at a restaurant. Why? Because I am a fitness junkie, summer is near and my last two abs need to pop out! Although this seems to backfire because by ordering less at a restaurant, I find myself still hungry when I get home and munching on snacks. Not good.

Anyways, about the restaurant, Good Choice was not my first choice. Going along Fraser Street, it seems like I have tried most of the restaurants I already want to and have been wanting to revisit Golden House Seafood! But, when in a relationship, you gotta think about the other person. So, he gets his 5% of restaurants to choose and it was time for him to collect. BFs choice is Good Choice because, well, simply neither of us have tried the restaurant and we were in the area.

The restaurant has around ten tables and properly maximizes the seating arrangements (no tight spaces). As for the service, there were only two waitresses at the front so when the restaurant got busy it was hard to get their attention because both focused on the larger tables, which is of course understandable.


DAILY SPECIAL SOUP, CHICKEN FEET HERBAL SOUP, MEDIUM ($12.80).
Usually for these types of soup, the ingredients are scooped out and left behind because all the nutrients are in the soup base. The soup has a light chicken as well as pork broth, along with a slight herbal taste.

LIVE STEAMED OYSTERS WITH GARLIC AND GREEN ONION ($3.95/EACH).
I cannot wait until more restaurants start serving fresh oysters and scallops! Speaking of fresh, not only are the oysters fresh, but the restaurant uses fresh garlic as well! Not jarred. The oysters taste fresh, not gritty, and have a light refreshing taste along with a flavourful garlic sauce. The flavours are noticeably more clear as well as light compared to the use of jarred minced garlic, and fresh is always appreciated.

3 1/2LB CREAM AND BUTTER SAUCE LOBSTER ($19.80/LB).
Most of the time in a relationship, it seems like the woman is always trying to save; whether it is an excitement from an item on sale, choosing street parking over valet, or just simply willing to get rid of a bunch of change.

In our case, I did not want to order a lobster because the price was higher than most restaurants and it was too big! I prefer lobsters less than 3lb max because the meat tastes more tender. But… of course, he wanted lobster, which was unfortunately overcooked. The meat tastes rubbery, chewy, sticks on the shell and is hard to remove. As for the sauce, there is a light flavour of cream and butter which highlights the taste of the lobster. Having said that, there is a difference between a light and bland sauce, and the cream and butter is definitely not bland.

GOOD CHOICE CHOW MEIN ($12.80).
The chow mein has plenty of crisp noodles and a light sauce which tastes neither salty nor oily, and softens up some of the noodles in the centre. As for the ingredients, the barbecue pork is a lean cut and tastes chewy; the slices of chicken taste tender with the help of a meat tenderizer; the jumbo sized butterflied prawns taste bouncy; and squid is chewy in general, but tastes ultra chewy. The highlight is definitely the light sauce, prawns and the crisp amount of noodles.

STEAMED EGGPLANT WITH GARLIC AND DRIED SHRIMPS ($14.80).
Again like the steamed oysters, the restaurant uses fresh garlic rather than jarred. The eggplant tastes perfectly cooked; soft as well as tender with a flavourful aroma. Furthermore, the flavours of the garlic and dried shrimp are there. This is a very healthy as well as tasty dish.

COMPLIMENTARY COCONUT TAPIOCA WITH TARO DESSERT SOUP.
When the bill arrived, of course I had to ask for dessert soup! Is it weird that I feel uncomfortable having to ask? Especially when it is usually offered at 95% of Chinese restaurants? Well, come on, like I am really not going to ask after spending $69.00 on an overcooked lobster. Also, fortunately I asked because coconut tapioca is one of my favourites. The dessert soup has a hint of sweetness along with a few chunks of soft tasting taro, and tapioca pearls.

TOTAL: $124.55 + TIP $15.45 = $140.00.

Overall, we tipped 12% because there was no service (could not get ahold of anyone for drink refills or to change plates) and I was not too happy spending $69.00 on an overcooked lobster. Fortunately though, neither of the waitresses are rude. As for the food, it is not bad and is an option for those who live nearby. However, I rather visit Golden House Seafood on Fraser Street because the food tastes great and the owner is friendly.

POSITIVES
- Restaurant uses fresh garlic rather than jarred
- There are a few unique dishes
- Average eats

NEGATIVES
- Overcooked lobster
- No service despite that none of the waitresses are rude

LITTLE THINGS
- Dim sum is apparently better than dinner

Food: 2.5/5 (lobster 2/5)
Service: 2/5

Good Choice Restaurant 好彩小廚 on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. My wife will send back dishes but I won't lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I rarely because not a fan of wasting food. I do notice usually it would be ladies who do that though!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...