Friday, October 11, 2013

Five Guys Burgers & Fries : Downtown location


C'est la vie a Maggi asked if I wanted to dine with her and I thought it was pretty cool because it reassured me that people know my blog exists LOL. She basically let me choose where to go and I am indecisive when I am not craving for anything. So, I thought since I have been blogging about burgers, why not go to Five Guys? I have been to the South Surrey (not very good) as well as Park Royal (THE BEST) location and was not sure what to expect for the one Downtown.


Right when you open the door, Five Guys has an aroma of delicious beef patties which I expected at Burger Heaven, but nope, not there. Five Guys is what it is, red and white checkered interior with quotations and acknowledgements from different media sources. C'est la vie a Maggi considers this arrogant while I think it is nothing special and is probably entertaining for people who eat as they read.


COMPLIMENTARY PEANUTS.
While waiting, customers can munch on peanuts or do the Asian thing and take them home LOL. I am pretty sure someone has done that before!

LITTLE CAJUN FRIES ($2.99) AND LITTLE BACON CHEESE BURGER (6.99).
The fries are soggy and heavily seasoned with cajun without tasting salty. Of course I would have preferred crisp fries rather than soggy but hey, at least they are fresh? As for the sizes, the "little" size is more than enough and I would consider it as a size medium from other fast food restaurants. If I was to share the fries between two people, I think a regular is more than enough (assuming the other wants fries, if not, then stick with size little).

Like any regular person, we wanted to use the wrapper to eat the burger. However, because the fries tipped over in the bag, the wrapper got oily and if my hands are going to get greasy, I might as well enjoy myself and use my hands on the actual burger. As for the toppings, my choice was everything on the menu which includes mayonnaise, lettuce, pickle, tomato, grilled onion and mushroom, ketchup, mustard, relish, onion, jalapeno pepper, green pepper, steak sauce, barbecue sauce and hot sauce.

The sliced mushrooms along with the beef patty are somewhat warm but not hot, and the other toppings are very generic. Furthermore, processed cheese and bacon can be added for an additional $1.00. The bacon tastes crispy, crunchy and very apparent in the burger. However, there is not much taste from the cheese which I do not mind since it is processed. Although as for C'est la vie a Maggi, she points out that it is silly to pay an additional $1.00 for something you cannot taste. Asides from the cheese, the favour from the beef patty is lost in the burger. Perhaps there are too many ingredients? In addition, the jalapeños and green peppers were forgotten.

LITTLE FRIES ($2.99) AND BACON CHEESE BURGER ($8.99).
As for C'est la vie a Maggi's burger, she chose all the toppings available as well and went for two patties. Furthermore, her choice of fries are lightly seasoned with pepper n' salt and gain, taste soggy.


This burger is from Park Royal's location which tastes a lot better and is served with toasted buns. Overall, I think the hype with Five Guys is all about fresh burgers, unlimited toppings (emphasize on unlimited toppings) and a generous portion of fries.

POSITIVES
- Fresh burgers
- Real french fries (fried too early though)
- Generous portion of fries and not heavy on the salt
- Complimentary peanuts
- Unlimited toppings (somewhat included in the price)

NEGATIVES
- Downtown location is not very good compared to Park Royal's
- Fries were deep fried too soon considering it was not that busy
- Bun are not toasted

LITTLE THINGS
- Trash cans are not conveniently placed
- Voted best burgers by Washingtonian Magazine Readers from 1999-2008 (back then, there probably was not many fresh burger joints)
- Burgers are probably cheaper in the US and considered worth it for customers
- I did not let C'est la vie a Maggi order a hot dog because I thought it would be stupid LOL
- Fries are actually crispy and yummy at the Park Royal location
- Park Royal as well as other locations provide trays and would be nice if this location did as well

Food: 2.5/5
Service: 2.5/5

  Five Guys Burgers & Fries on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...