Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Deer Garden Signatures 鹿園魚湯米線: Sexsmith location

POST ON DEER GARDEN SIGNATURES AT FRASER STREET [HERE]

This is my second visit to Deer Garden and I really wanted to give the restaurant a second chance, for personal reasons. You see, I am not a fan of noodles. First, I do not get full off noodles and second, I rather have pretty much anything else (pizza, burger, donair, vegetables, steak, chicken… ice cream).

So on my first visit, I remember having to wait five minutes for a seat and was shocked that I waited for noodles! It is really hard for me to have bubble tea food, noodles, or eat at a Hong Kong style cafe; so yes, I was quite frustrated that I waited for a noodle shop. In addition, I have never even heard of Deer Garden and the restaurant was my friend's choice. So since I did not eat noodles then, I had the curry beef brisket (which was alright.. nothing special and kind of chewy) and a red bean smoothie with ice cream.

Fast forward to a couple of years later, I started randomly craving for noodles! Meaning, I had to visit Deer Garden, properly. We came around 4:00pm on a weekday and the restaurant was fairly empty. Walking in, there was a strong fresh aroma of milk tea, I liked it LOL.


BLUEBERRY SLUSH ($2.00) AND RED BEAN SLUSH ($2.00). 
Cold drinks are $1.00 and specialty drinks are $2.00 with the punchase of noodles. I have been drinking only fresh juice in the last few years and forgot that these types of drink have added sugar! Oh well, my fault for not sticking to a milk tea, since it smelled so good. The blueberry slush tastes very sweet and is pretty much frozen blueberries, ice and sugar. Although properly blended, it really tasted too sweet. As for the red bean slush, my friend liked it despite the drink tasting a bit too sweet for her as well. 

PAN FRIED PORK CHOP WITH MAGGI SAUCE ($1.95).
The pork chop tastes very tender as well as juicy, and the maggi sauce provides a salty flavour but not overly. However, since I like bland tasting food, I would have preferred the pork chop without the maggi sauce.


DESERT WINGS WITH GINGER ($1.95).
Desert wings? The order comes with three wings which have a nice crispy exterior. Although the wings do not taste juicy or dry, it tastes okay and neither salty nor greasy.

CHAOCHOU STYLE DRIED FISH AND MINCED PORK FISH SOUP ($8.50) WITH FLAT RICE NOODLES, SLICED BEEF BRISKET, FRESH BEAN CURD, SLICED PUMPKIN ($1.25) AND CHOY SUM ($1.25).
The soup base tastes very clear as well as light, and has a slight fish broth flavour. I want to say that I love the broth because it tastes bland; however, it is somewhat flavourful. The chaochou style dried fish broth is a must order for those who prefer lighter tastes. 


My choice of noodles are the flat rice noodles, which are perfectly cooked resulting in a nice pleasant chewiness. Furthermore, my choice of added items are sliced beef brisket, fresh bean curd, sliced pumpkin and choy sum. Since the soup was served very hot, the slices of pumpkin turned into mush and blended well with the soup, which was quite tasty. Following, although the choy sum was not over or undercooked, I regret not eating it fast enough since the vegetables ended up tasting overcooked later. Moving to the bean curd, it tastes soft and quite tasty. And last, the beef brisket has a clean natural meat taste.

MALAY LAKSA SOUP ($8.50) WITH VERMICELLI, SLICED BEEF, SLICED HAM AND CORN ($1.25).


The broth tastes flavourful and has a hint of a barely there spiciness, which we both liked. As for her added ingredients, everything tastes generic and there is nothing to complain or rave about. If anything, the slices of beef were a bit chewy.


POSITIVES
- Good portions (although I will probably ask for half the amount of noodles next time since I cannot eat that much noodles)
- One of the waitresses' was friendly and made it her goal to regularly refill every tables' tea
- Above average eats

NEGATIVES
- Can easily average to $13.00/bowl depending on the added items
- Sometimes there is a long line up
- Drinks are too sweet (can ask for less or no sugar added though)

LITTLE THINGS
- Post on Deer Garden Signatures on Fraser Street [here]
- I would revisit and definitely recommend the dried fish and pork soup base for those who prefer lighter tastes!

Food: 3.5/5
Service: 3/5

Deer Garden Signatures 鹿園魚湯米線 on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...