Monday, August 26, 2013

Fortune City Seafood Restaurant 百福海鮮酒家


Last week when my boyfriend and I passed this restaurant on our way to Venice Garden, we noticed it is extremely busy and some of the dishes posted outside the restaurant looked good. Well actually my boyfriend wanted to eat here but I thought it was too busy and I hate eating at busy restaurants (spotlight effect, social anxiety, the usual yenno).


Going to a cleaner Chinese restaurant has always lead me to believe that the service will be good. However, I realize that is not the case anymore so I did not expect anything special. But surprisingly the service is amazing and the staff (fine, one of the servers) is attentive and professional.


THE BRAISED CRAB MEAT AND SHARK'S FIN SOUP, ROASTED SQUAB, BRAISED ABALONE AND GOOSE WEBS, LOBSTER WITH NOODLES, FRIED SCALLOP AND SHRIMP WITH CHOY SUM IN BROTH, STEAMED EGG WITH MINCED PORK AND DRY SCALLOPS, BLACK SESAME DESSERT AND COOKIES.


To start, the ROASTED SQUAB ($12.80). The squab could have been more tender as well as juicy and the skin is not really crispy. At least the squab is not chewy and is somewhat tasty, but other then that it is pretty oily. The squab is not that good.


The second dish is the 2lb BRAISED LOBSTER IN SUPERIOR BROTH WITH NOODLE ($29.80). The lobster is tender with a nice snap and the superior broth is a bit above average. This dish is one of the specials they have.


The third dish is the BRAISED CRAB MEAT AND SHARK'S FIN SOUP ($12.80/bowl). The broth is really light and clear which I personally prefer, and the crab meat is shredded.


The fourth dish is the BRAISED ABALONE AND GOOSE WEBS ($12.80). The sauce is a bit heavy for me (again, personal preference) and is not salty. The broccoli is not overcooked and I like how they cut it in smaller pieces. What do I say about abalone? It is average, no complaints, a bit too hard and if anything the sauce is a bit strong.


The fifth dish is the FRIED SCALLOP AND SHRIMP WITH CHOY SUM IN BROTH ($13.80). The choy sum is not over or under cooked and the broth is really tasty with the scallops and shrimp. This is now one of my favourite dishes! Can you say healthy? I do find the broth to be a bit salty but that is because I prefer my vegetables clean. I will definitely come back if I was in the area for Chinese food just so I can order this.


The last dish is the STEAMED EGG WITH MINCED PORK AND DRY SCALLOPS ($13.80). This dish is pretty much perfectly made. The steamed egg is perfectly smooth like tofu. The minced pork, egg, scallops, green onions, this is a healthy and yummy refreshing dish. Next time I would go without the soy sauce since I like bland healthy food sometimes.


For dessert, COMPLIMENTARY BLACK SESAME SOUP and COOKIES. I am not a fan of drinking black sesame like this but I like how it is something different other than red bean soup. The cookies are not that great but meh. The flatter ones are coconut and I hate coconut. The coconut cookie tastes a bit "wet" but there are a good amount of coconut flakes.

With the professional service and yummy healthier options, I will come back. Something interesting was that a table was celebrating a birthday and the restaurant had the birthday song playing on the speakers in an asian childlike english voice which was cute/tacky/fob at the same time.

Food: 3/5
Service: 4/5

Fortune City Seafood Restaurant 百福海鮮酒家 on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...