Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Keg Steakhouse & Bar : Burnaby location


I assume that most peoples' first steakhouse is always The Keg, because it was certainly mine! The Keg is a casual chain steakhouse serving good food at an affordable price. And despite knowing a few people that do not like The Keg, their prices are obviously very reasonable compared to high end steakhouses such as Gotham and Hy's. So what do I come here for? The filet or prime rib.

The restaurant's interior is dimly lit, but every table has decent lightning in the area. The seating arrangements are usually booth seats and the restaurant can easily accommodate large parties as well.


COMPLIMENTARY BREAD AND WHIPPED BUTTER.
I remember thinking that The Keg in Coquitlam changed their bread, but it seems like the whole chain has. The table bread has a stiff exterior and a soft, fluffy, and pillowy crumb. The Keg always serves the table bread with whipped butter, but actual butter can be requested without an additional charge.

MUSHROOMS NEPTUNE, WINE SIMMERED MUSHROOM CAPS WITH CRAB AND CREAM CHEESE ($9.95). 
The Keg's stuffed mushroom caps are ten times better than Seasons in The Park's! The caps have a heavy cream cheese flavour and the texture of the crab meat is apparent. A good thing about The Keg is that their appetizers are pretty much always consistent.

BAKED GOAT CHEESE, WARM GOAT CHEESE COATED IN CRUSHED ALMONDS WITH TOMATO BASIL SALSA ($8.95). 
This is my favourite appetizer at The Keg, baked goat cheese topped with crushed almonds! The cheese tastes creamy, soft and easy to spread on the crostinis. The tangy basil salsa also adds that extra flavour.
10ozZ PRIME RIB WITH AN ATLANTIC LOBSTER TAIL AND A TWICE BAKED POTATO ($42.95).
The Keg at Burnaby is my all time favourite location because I swear their prime rib tastes the best! The prime rib tastes flavourful, tender and melts in the mouth. For my choice of seafood, I went for the lobster tail. On my last visit at The Keg in Coquitlam, the lobster tail was overcooked and extremely rubbery. So this time around, I requested for the lobster tail to not be overcooked "just in case". But despite my request, the lobster tail ended up tasting rubbery! Are the lobster tails at The Keg usually like this?
The lobster tail also tastes heavily seasoned and lacks that natural flavour. As for my choice of side, I ordered the twice baked potato instead of my usual vegetables. Unfortunately I find the sour cream very heavy and overwhelms the potato however, as I taste more sour cream than potato. The lobster tail and the potato are very underwhelming and I would rather spend only an extra $15.00 and Hy's for the same items (filet instead of prime rib… lol), but better quality food. Hy's double baked potato is pretty bomb and the lobster tail was perfect.

10oz PRIME RIB WITH KING CRAB LEGS WITH A BAKED POTATO ($42.95).
The prime rib is served medium rare as my friend requested and tastes flavourful as well as tender. My friend agrees that The Keg in Burnaby really serves better prime rib than the other locations too. For her choice of seafood, the king crab legs taste steamed to order and exhibit a slightly natural sweet flavour. The legs are not watery too, which has happened before. As for her side, the sour cream and bacon bits compliment her potato, which tastes a lot better than my twice baked!

POSITIVES
- Consistent prime rib
- Service is usually really good at this location
- Burnaby location serves the best prime rib

NEGATIVES
- Where the heck was our server?
- Lobster tail always tastes rubbery

LITTLE THINGS
- Posts on The Keg in Coquitlam, Coquitlam revisit, Dunsmuir and Alberni
- Apparently The Keg has a new rule, teapots filled with hot water can no longer be provided

Food: 3.5/5
Service: 1/5

Keg Steakhouse & Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...