After dim sum, BF and I spent the whole day looking for Seadoo floating devices from Broadway and Cambie, Canadian Tire, to Granville Island and we left empty handed. To make myself feel better I wanted gelato at Bella Gelateria (the best) but the line up was really long, out the door two blocks. Being disappointed again, we decided to go to the Boathouse in White Rock. It is my first time coming here and BF says it is his favourite Boathouse location.
When we arrived, I wanted a seat on the deck since it was such a nice evening but because we did not make reservations, there was thirty minute wait. The hostess was friendly, genuine and apologetic for our wait which she did not need to be since we did not make any reservations. I feel like it is hard to come by hostesses and servers (in my opinion) who act like they care or even fake it (I honestly do not mind if they fake it because it is their job, any acknowledgment is nice).
<- THE VIEW FROM OUR TABLE
AHI TUNA TACOS IN CRISPY WONTON TACOS, WITH WASABI AIOLI AND MANGO SALSA ($13.99)
The tacos have an awkward portion control since one taco has a good amount of tuna, but the next would have practically one little piece and the taste is all shell. About the shell though, the wonton tacos are very crunchy rather than crispy which overwhelms the delicate flavour of the tuna. Moreover, there is plenty of wasabi aioli which tastes like mayonnaise and overwhelms the faint flavour from the mango salsa. The appetizer overall is not very good because it is heavy on the aioli, the tacos are extremely crunchy, and it is hard to taste the tuna.
CRISPY SHRIMP AND SEA SALTED FRIES ($14.99).
We saw a family order these (two plates!) and decided to add an order. The tiger prawns are lightly battered and taste meaty, with a nice snap. As for the accompanying tartar sauce, the consistency could have been thicker and taste tangier. When we ordered these, we did not know what they are called so I tried finding them on Instagram. I ended up finding the photo on the right and I can only think, thank goodness ours did not look like that LOL. Those look really crunchy and fried with old oil (the photo is from the White Rock location as well).
9oz BASEBALL CUT SIRLOIN WITH VEGETABLES AND ROAST POTATOES ($26.99).
The steak is overcooked, looking more medium than medium rare. Usually BF sucks it up and eats his overcooked steak at a restaurant if that happens, but the sirloin tasted really chewy and he did not want it at all. Our server was very nice and offered to take it back. So after twenty five minutes, his new steak arrived.
The new sirloin is cooked to a medium rare this time, but tastes fairly chewy. The steak also tastes bland and tough, which I guess can be expected for a sirloin. Sirloin was not actually a first choice of ours and too bad the tenderloin is only available in the dining room!
MISO CRUSTED WILD HALIBUT WITH BLACK PEPPER SAUCE, VEGETABLES AND ROAST POTATOES ($32.99).
Since we already sent back one dish, I accepted my overcooked halibut. The fish tastes stiff, chewy and very dry. On top of that, the black pepper sauce is sickening sweet and has a thick consistency like syrup, which I did not expect from "black pepper sauce".
- Restaurant with a view?
- Attentive, friendly and genuine staff
- Food is not very good
- Quality does not match the price
- Deck stops seating at 9:00pm
- I am a really observant person and did not notice a single server with an attitude at any point of time (there was even a rude customer and the hostess was patience as well as polite). Our server checked on us constantly and was apologetic as well (for the steak and time waited). The manager also dropped by to apologize since our food took longer than usual and she even took the tuna tacos off our bill (also because the chowders were not available and for the overcooked steak). Usually for a manager to come out, it is because of a customer's complaint or if a customer requests to speak with one, but she came to speak with us on her own
- If the manager did not speak with us, I was planning on writing an e-mail with how pleased I was with the hostesses and servers (that is how surprised I was)
- Total for the bill with the tuna tacos removed was $84 and we left $115 which is very deserved
- In the end, the food is not very good and I do not know if we would revisit even with the perfect service. In BFs defence, he has not been here in a few years and remembered it being his favourite location, so some things could have changed or the deck should not be the first preference for dinner
A nice surprise was also the fireworks, we did not know there would be any for Canada Day at White Rock.